Walk to School Update:
It has been fantastic to see more children being active in their journey to school since we launched the Living Streets Walk to School Challenge! Although we weren’t able to take part for very long, it was great to see so many children taking active journeys to school! When we return to school, we will be carrying on with this initiative and we cannot wait to award the badges to those children who have been active! Remember to stay active at home during your time away from school. For ideas and tips on how to stay active you can:
-Log on to RealPE and use their resources (login details were shared via the School App)
-Visit Change for Life https://www.nhs.uk/change4life/activities
-Do the Joe Wicks PE Sessions which can be found online, Daily at 9am on his You Tube channel PE with Joe
-Family Fit Club- Fun family workouts and resources
-For Sadlers Family Dance Workshops click here
P.E. (Physical Education) is a statutory element of the National Curriculum and all children must take part. We employ sports coaches from Premier Sports and Go Geronimo to lead some lessons. We are also lucky to have a large field and access to the beach and even the local tennis courts.
At St Mary’s every child has a guaranteed two hours of P.E. a week with a curriculum incorporating Invasion Games (e.g. hockey, football, skittleball etc), Gymnastics, Swimming, Dance and Athletics.
Within P.E. children are expected to progress in four key areas:
- Acquiring and developing skills
- Selecting and applying skills, tactics and compositional ideas
- Evaluating and improving performance
- Knowledge and understanding of fitness and health
P.E. provides opportunities for pupils to be creative, competitive and to face up to different challenges as individuals and as part of a group, together with promoting positive attitudes to active and healthy lifestyles. Outside of lessons we have a wide range of sports clubs and lunchtime activities. We also take part in the golden mile to encourage everyone to get regular exercise.
Here are some links you may find useful:
- On Thursday 12th March, a group of children from Year 5 and Year 6 represented St Mary’s at a swimming gala which was held at Waterlane Leisure Centre. Our wonderful competitors performed magnificently achieving some fantastic results and narrowly missed out on bringing back a medal! Well done to all of our representatives- we are all so proud of you!
- This Girl Can Tournament March 11th 2020
- Golden Mile 2020
- Cross Country Tournament 2019
- Uni Hoc Tournament 2019